On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 12:07 -0400, Richard Hughes wrote:
----- "Denys Vlasenko" <dvlasenk(a)redhat.com> wrote:
> So, Richard, what is this pk-debuginfo-install thing, and how it can
> help us here? In what ways is it different from debuginfo-install?
The main difference is that it uses PackageKit, so it:
* can be used by a non-root user
* doesn't take the yum lock
* integrates with other software using PackageKit
* error granularity, so you don't have to parse stdout to find out why the command
This is the output from --help:
[hughsie@hughsie-laptop ~]$ pk-debuginfo-install --help
PackageKit Debuginfo Installer
-h, --help Show help options
-v, --verbose Show extra debugging information
-s, --simulate Don't actually install any packages, only simulate what would
-n, --no-depends Do not install dependencies of the core packages
-q, --quiet Do not display information or progress
Something is missing. You probably meant
pk-debuginfo-install [OPTION...] PACKAGE_NAME
And in the man page (man pk-debuginfo-install) more details are
0 Success, at least one package was installed
1 Failed with miscellaneous internal error.
3 Failed to get software sources list.
4 Failed to enable software sources.
5 Failed as nothing to do.
6 Failed to find dependant packages.
7 Failed to install.
8 Failed to disable software sources.
But it's pretty much a drop in replacement for debuginfo-install from an end-user
Can you implement an -y switch to be even more compatible?
Currently it is accepted but ignored, I still get confirmation prompt:
# pk-debuginfo-install -y -- unzip-5.52-10.fc11.x86_64
1. Getting sources list...OK. Found 10 enabled and 34 disabled sources.
2. Finding debugging sources...OK. Found 6 disabled debuginfo repos.
3. Enabling debugging sources...OK. Enabled 6 debugging sources.
4. Finding debugging packages...Failed to find the package : more than
one package found for
Failed to find the package : more than one package found for
OK. Found 1 packages:
5. Finding packages that depend on these packages...OK. Found 2 extra
Found 3 packages to install:
1 unzip-debuginfo-5.52-10.fc11(x86_64) fedora-debuginfo
2 bash-debuginfo-4.0-8.fc11(x86_64) updates-debuginfo
3 bash-debuginfo-4.0-8.fc11(x86_64) updates-debuginfo
6. Installing packages...
The following packages have to be installed:
Proceed with changes? [N/y]