----- Original Message -----
What "Fedora" exactly is the image going to contain? Fedora Server?
Fedora Cloud? Will it be a part of either of those products? If not, what
is its status, exactly? Who's responsible for it? Is it considered a
primary or frontline or whatever Fedora deliverable? Who's going to test
it? How's it going to be promoted in relation to all our other
Here are *my* answers -- let's make sure we all agree. :)
* It will contain its own very minimal "spin". We're not (currently) going
to produce "layered" images -- just the base. (Application images will
be made via Docker's "trusted builds" service from the
repo, on top of this base.)
* It will initially be part of Fedora Cloud, but long term I think we want
to move it to Env & Stacks (CC'ing).
So, thinking about this I first thought that it might make sense to produce several
variants, but we don't actually need to do that. Trying to think what people expect
from a container:
- people expect it to be minimal (fast to download from the registry)
- people expect they'll be able to install stuff easily in it
- people expect they'll be able to run services easily
(At least that's what I expect from a container. Of course there is a lot more, but
these are the most important points for me.) So as long as you can install anything you
need inside it and can run stuff there, I think we'll be fine. That means having image
that's as minimal as it can get.
* Correspondingly, I think we're responsible.
* On "primary or frontline", I think the answer is
"not release blocking",
but we'd like to produce and upload the image after release if we miss
Yes, containers shouldn't block releases.
* Who is going to test it? We should. Possibly, launching _this_
will be part of the Fedora Atomic tests?
I'll add one more: *How* are we going to test it?
Who's "We"? Cloud SIG? Have you tried talking to Fedora QE to perhaps reuse
their infrastructure/hook container tests into it? Do we already some have test cases?
What system will we use - Jenkins/something else?
* The goal is to upload the official image to the Docker index in a
similar to our other cloud images.
* We may promote it on the web site in some manner, but the primary point
is that we want to appear at <https://registry.hub.docker.com/>
Agreed with both.
Fedora Project Leader